I hope I can earn back respect: Steve Smith

Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland will reveal his response to the cheating scandal

An emotional Steve Smith has taken full responsibility for the Australian ball-tampering scandal and says he "failed" as a captain. "I'm sorry. I'm absolutely devastated".

"What happened in Cape Town has already been laid out by Cricket Australia".

Smith, wearing a formal coat and drawing deep breaths as he spoke, addressed the fans and the children of Australia would wanted to know why he'd cheated. Cricket has been my life and I hope it can be again.

Darren Lehmann said informing Australia's players of his resignation as head coach was the toughest thing he has ever had to do, but he believes his decision to step down is the "right thing for Australian cricket".

"Any time you think about making a questionable decision, think about who you're affecting. Think about who you're affecting".

I'm the captain of the Australian team. "I made a serious error of judgement".

"It was a failure of leadership, on my leadership". I will do everything I can to make up for my mistake and the damage it has caused.

I am extremely disappointed and regret my actions.

Warner was scheduled to arrive back in Sydney late Thursday night, but was not planning to speak to the media.

Australian cricket coach Darren Lehmann reacts as he briefs media at the Wanderes stadium in Johanneburg, South Africa March 29, 2018. I'm sorry for what it's entailed since then and for that. As a team, we know we've let so many people down and, for that, we are truly sorry. "I hope the team rebuilds from this and the Australian public finds it in their hearts to forgive these young men". "All I can do in the short term is to ask for forgiveness".

The 25-year-old Bancroft, playing in only his eight Test match, was suspended for nine months.

"I've been thinking about my position for a while", he said. "People know I worked so hard to get to this point in my career and to have given up that chance for free is devastating".

Warner was charged by Cricket Australia with developing the plan to use sandpaper to alter the ball to their bowlers' advantage and instructing Bancroft to carry it out. "Speaking to my family, it's the right time to step away". It was later proved to be sandpaper that Bancroft had used.

"I lied. I lied about the sandpaper". "I panicked in that situation".

"I'm not here to talk about other players involved, it is my actions that I am accountable for and they don't reflect on my values".

Smith, a golden boy compared to Donald Bradman for his batting exploits, was a broken man at an emotional press conference on his arrival back in Sydney from Johannesburg. "It's on my watch and I take responsibility for what happened", Smith, the top-ranked Test batsman in the world said. "I understand the distress this has caused the sport and its fans".

Cricket Australia, however, is expected to officially confirm the announcement of their penalties later today. They've also been barred by Indian authorities from the lucrative IPL.

Wicketkeeper Tim Paine will take over the Australian captaincy for the fourth and final Test starting in Johannesburg on Friday, with Matt Renshaw, Glenn Maxwell and Joe Burns drafted in as replacements. Warner will never again be considered for a leadership role in an Australian team. Electronics company LG on Wednesday said it would not renew its soon-to-expire deal with Warner.

Related news:

Hot News

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top PUBG gets weapon skins, region locked servers under consideration
Mar 30, 2018 - 00:18
For instance, in January 2018, Fortnite had more video uploads related to a video game than anything else. The skins will be the only item available in two new crates - Triumph crates and Raider crates.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Funerals held of Russian Federation mall fire dead
Mar 29, 2018 - 01:28
Protesters stood outside government offices hurling demands of "Resign!" and accusations of "Murderers!" I identified them yesterday.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Twitter announces a ban on cryptocurrency ads
Mar 29, 2018 - 01:27
Under the new policy, the advertisement of ICOs and token sales will be prohibited at the global one-to-many messaging platform. It now reads: "Twitter permits the promotion of financial services and related content with restrictions".

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Falling Chinese space station poses no risk: UAE Space Agency
Mar 28, 2018 - 00:33
China's out-of-control space station, Tiangong-1, is getting very close to its expected date of re-entry. The Tiangong-1 is expected to crash into Earth's atmosphere around April 1.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Rams make 23rd overall pick available in Odell Beckham Jr
Mar 28, 2018 - 00:32
Earlier in March, a video surfaced of the wide receiver with what appeared to be cocaine and a brown cigarette in hand. With rumors surfacing that the New York Giants might be looking to trade wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr .

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Sean Penn's smoking Colbert interview
Mar 28, 2018 - 00:32
When asked about his motivations for writing the book, Penn said it was a kind of therapy for him living through the Trump era. Two-time Oscar victor Sean Penn is hitting the press circuit to promote his novel, Bob Honey Who Just Do Stuff .

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top The Conner Family is still relevant in America
Mar 28, 2018 - 00:25
On the series, which premieres Tuesday night, Roseanne Conner voted for Trump - much like Barr did in real life. But Kimmel was keen to quiz Barr on why she voted for President Donald Trump in the 2016 election .

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Killer Mike issues apology for NRA TV interview regarding gun ownership
Mar 27, 2018 - 03:46
He ended by encouraging America's teens to keep organizing for causes they believe in. "That simple", Bender told NRATV . Martin Luther King Jr. and agreed to be interviewed by "people I might not always agree with, to listen to them".

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Cambridge Analytica Accused of Violating US Election Laws
Mar 27, 2018 - 03:43
On Friday, the company said it's undertaking an independent third-party audit to verify that it does not hold any of the data. Calls to Cambridge Analytica's offices in London, Washington and NY weren't answered on Saturday.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top BJP targets Congress over App data breach
Mar 27, 2018 - 03:42
On Saturday, the Congress targeted the NaMo app for alleged data sharing with a US-based firm. Games often ask for permissions to access friend's lists or contacts.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Don't count me among Donald Trump's fans, by Curt Clough
Mar 26, 2018 - 01:11
Asked about the president's tweet, White House spokesman Hogan Gidley said in a statement: "The tweet stands for itself". Most members of Congress did not have enough time to read the bill, ticking off conservative Republicans and Trump alike.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Michigan Wolverines play for the Final Four vs. Florida State
Mar 26, 2018 - 01:04
Michigan will try to become the first Big Ten team to make the Final Four since Wisconsin and Michigan State both did so in 2015. My mom told me the other day that there are so many people that obviously know me from being little, but I don't know them.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top 'Crazy' Biden would go down crying if he assaulted me
Mar 25, 2018 - 00:57
While the hosts brought up the appointment, Biden covered his face with his hands. "We're gonna pick Ronda Rousey ". Trevor Noah weighed in on the battle as well, saying he was not sure who would really win this fight.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Is Meghan Markle feeling broody?
Mar 25, 2018 - 00:55
Prince Harry said, "She's done an absolutely awesome job...it's the family that I suppose she's never had". They signed the visitors' book and thanked the people of Northern Ireland for their hospitality.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top London youth to rally in Victoria Park against gun violence
Mar 25, 2018 - 00:55
Community leaders like Danville Mayor John Gilstrap and Danville Police Chief Scott Booth also marched alongside the students. Survivors of the shooting have launched a vocal campaign for the US government to pass gun-safety legislation.